Change font size   Print view

Are some people just really lucky/unlucky?

Discuss Poker here, including strategy, rules, and hand analysis.

Re: Are some people just really lucky/unlucky?

Postby YP_Exigent » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:05 pm

deal:

you don't play your cards. you play your opponent
Rektikano keena keena, rektikano keena keena, rektikano rektikano rektikano rah!
YP_Exigent

Postby Zathras » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:13 am

I just can't handle playing here. Somehow, people keep sucking out on me with weak hands. All I ask, is that when I go all in with the best cards, I should win the majority of those hands. But it doesn't happen. "Probability" means nothing on TJ. If there is a way to lose, it will happen to me. I do fine in the small-money pots. But if it's a big-money pot, I swear my opponent gets some kind of bonus that makes my 80-20 hand a 50-50 hand.
Zathras

Postby Zathras » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:16 am

YP_Exigent wrote:deal:

you don't play your cards. you play your opponent

This is a nice saying but it doesn't really mean anything in TJ. How do you keep your opponent from winning when he will get the best cards, no matter how good your hand is? Betting and raising DOES NOT WORK--they call with garbage and still win.
Zathras

Postby FatLunatic » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:18 am

Play in those multitable tournaments. There the more skilled players are usually the ones that makes it to the final table, rather than the clowns that make poker an all in fest.

& play tight til you can get a nice hand like pocket aces or AJs. If there's more than 2 guys going all in just muck your hand. It's a lottery regardless of the starting hand by then.
FatLunatic

Postby synRose » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:49 am

Ive been saying this a lot - and I'll horrify you with the news. It has been scientifically proven that some individuals, for no good reason whatsoever, are able to influence random number generators by their mere presence. It's called psychokenesis. The experiments have shown this to be true, against all skeptics expectations.

I think I have it. My luck is often in my favor against the odds. Now if only I could play worth a crap. Wierdest thing is, i know when it is happening. I feel like I'm looking out my third eye, as it were. I'd be willing to guess that this extends to other things in life apart from RNGs. I should be a dead woman for a dozen reasons - at least handicapped or disfigured. These are freak accidents, unbelievably odd and unpredictable (ask me about the roller coaster.) Each time it happens, i end up without a scratch, shaking, and wondering at what has just happened to me. Fact of the matter is, I am an unbelievably lucky individual. Now If I could only tap that in my favor... and stop bluffin!
synRose

Postby WB_dad168_AD » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:44 pm

That's life in real life sometimes we need to recover from failures same in poker u need to count ur blessing n work through it..... same here just lose all my chips but still trying to recover and over come this stages :lol: :roll: :h:
WB_dad168_AD

Postby brocky » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:39 pm

you will hear all the pro's talking about bad runs, we all have them. It sounds to me that your ABC poker is right, however a lot of emphasis is placed on aggression these days. I find in the level up tours here, there is some sanity to the play in these games, however in other games God knows, what your up against! Having said, that in a recent level up my AA (All in) was crushed by K8o with 8 on the turn and 8 on river. I see that Hellmouth does a lot of meditation before matches and Andy Black went to be a Buddhist monk before he came back to play his A game. Some say give up for a few days and or just laugh it off (I know its hard). They have Texas holdem incorporated into Google's training for their staff, this appears to show them how staff are at decision making and all you can do sometimes is go all in with the best hand, cant do much more sometimes, my bad run has lasted 3 weeks (didnt want to mention it)...... still chin up, it wont last for ever. :lol:
brocky

Previous

Return to The Game Of Poker