Change font size   Print view

Poker Etiquette and unspoken rules

Discuss Poker here, including strategy, rules, and hand analysis.

Poker Etiquette and unspoken rules

Postby alaska » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:52 am

I though it might be a good idea to start this thread as a way for other players to throw out some ideas for better under standing the unspoken rules of Hold'em. As an example in real life if you went all in every hand pre-flop youd get a drink thrown at you real quick, and most triple jack players would warn/ban a player for doing so. any ideas?

For example heres a unspoken rule that leans away from proper etiquette: Player A keeps showing his/her cards before folding out while there is still others playing and betting. This isnt braking a rule but it would surely upset some players if there counting on those cards, or if another player wants other players to chase there bets.
I dont know what do you all think? what upsets you?
alaska

Re: Poker Etiquette and unspoken rules

Postby TeXaS_FoLD_Em » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:43 am

Admins upset me... They have more pies :cry: And they mute me :cry:
TeXaS_FoLD_Em

Postby grantus » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:45 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Suck it up. :twisted:

Lol, kidding Cold, love ya. :P
grantus.
-Aussie
-Admin
-Summer of Betrayal.

You just Lost The Game.
grantus

Postby _V_1_P_3_R_ » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:15 pm

alaska wrote:I though it might be a good idea to start this thread as a way for other players to throw out some ideas for better under standing the unspoken rules of Hold'em. As an example in real life if you went all in every hand pre-flop youd get a drink thrown at you real quick, and most triple jack players would warn/ban a player for doing so. any ideas?

Threre is a rules regarding "going all" in every hand or pre flops.

Other things that may result in getting booted or banned include abuse of the warning system, going all-in on every hand thus reducing each hand to a roulette game rather than poker

alaska wrote:For example heres a unspoken rule that leans away from proper etiquette: Player A keeps showing his/her cards before folding out while there is still others playing and betting. This isnt braking a rule but it would surely upset some players if there counting on those cards, or if another player wants other players to chase there bets.

This really upsets player/s who really knows how poker is played.

Bankers = with limited stack after banking, a banker gains confidence to go all in. in real life, either you leave the table or stop playing. we should have a rule regarding banking.
TOUCH ME ONCE, I WILL BE NICE.
TOUCH ME TWICE, I WONT BE KIND.
TOUCH ME ONE MORE TIME, YOU WILL BE KISSNG THE GROUND AND CRY !

_V_1_P_3_R_

Postby YP_alibaby » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:03 am

I agree with Viper regarding bankers with limited stacks. many players here(including me) are fans of poker and has never played "REAL" poker game (like using poker chips), and we are not dealing with real money; meaning it's purely online poker for fun. that's why we have the " NO SUBSEQUENT ALL INs PRE FLOP" policy aight?

on revealing hand cards after folding: how can you prevent people from revealing their card before folding?
I suggest though that "Zen the great one" would change the format/feature for revealing cards. that is, players can only reveal their cards at the end of the betting. coz you can't really prohibit players from revealing their cards when folding even if betting has not yet ended.
YP_alibaby

Postby Gordon_j » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:16 am

It takes 4 warnings to kick someone out of a game. Now I can obviously see why that rule is in place - but if there are only four of you at a table and one goes all in every hand what can you do??
Gordon_j

Postby grantus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:27 am

Simple- Find an admin. :)
grantus.
-Aussie
-Admin
-Summer of Betrayal.

You just Lost The Game.
grantus

Postby VANILLA_nick » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:18 pm

alaska wrote:For example heres a unspoken rule that leans away from proper etiquette: Player A keeps showing his/her cards before folding out while there is still others playing and betting. This isnt braking a rule but it would surely upset some players if there counting on those cards, or if another player wants other players to chase there bets.

This one really gets under my skin and i'm a big supporter of warning those who break this etiquette rule.
if they do it once, i'll kindly ask them to wait till the hand is over before revealing, they usually stop, although some take a little more explaining.
if they continue to do it a second and third time i'll give them warning saying "seriously, please dont do that again" or something.
again, warning system comes into play.
and if there arent enough players to warn them out, i'll boot them, but it hardly ever comes to the last step.
I should put something really clever here..
VANILLA_nick

Postby YP_alibaby » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:52 am

VANILLA_nick wrote:This one really gets under my skin and i'm a big supporter of warning those who break this etiquette rule.
if they do it once, i'll kindly ask them to wait till the hand is over before revealing, they usually stop, although some take a little more explaining.
if they continue to do it a second and third time i'll give them warning saying "seriously, please dont do that again" or something.
again, warning system comes into play.
and if there arent enough players to warn them out, i'll boot them, but it hardly ever comes to the last step.

uhmmm. many players doesn't know that revealing cards before the end of betting violate "the" "etiquitte rule". if it's improper to reveal cards when folding even if betting has not yet ended, I really suggest big bosses of TJs would make "/r" feature works only every after end of the betting. Only that will solve the problem, IF it is REALLY REALLY improper to reveal your cards.
coz AGAIN most of the players here are just fans of this game. and most of us doesn't really know what real poker is like when it is played with real MONEY at stake.
YP_alibaby

Postby grantus » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:16 am

In all honesty, If you fold halfway through a hand, it is not possible to reveal until the end of the hand anyway. But if you reveal and THEN fold, thats practically ruining the whole hand for everybody, as they know that those two cards have no chance whatsoever of appearing on the board..

It is very much an unspoken rule of poker..
grantus.
-Aussie
-Admin
-Summer of Betrayal.

You just Lost The Game.
grantus

Postby _2na_ » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:56 am

My thing with this is if its so important then why is it unspoken? :P
_2na_

Postby YP_alibaby » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 am

_2na_ wrote:My thing with this is if its so important then why is it unspoken? :P

Amen to that!
YP_alibaby

Postby grantus » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:50 pm

"Unspoken Rules" are essentially something that is agreed on by by all which doesn't even NEED to be "spoken" about.

Its like saying you can't hide a second deck of cards in your lap to choose your own hand. I'm sure that isn't in writing or really spoken about, but its common sense not to do it.
grantus.
-Aussie
-Admin
-Summer of Betrayal.

You just Lost The Game.
grantus

Postby YP_alibaby » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:18 am

grantus wrote:"Unspoken Rules" are essentially something that is agreed on by by all which doesn't even NEED to be "spoken" about.

Its like saying you can't hide a second deck of cards in your lap to choose your own hand. I'm sure that isn't in writing or really spoken about, but its common sense not to do it.

hiding cards is far more different from just revealing your cards before folding. coz that would be cheating aight? anyway, in games like this where most of the players doesn't know the what's "NOT TO DO" in poker. rules should be set transparently. we just play here for fun as this is a family poker game. throwing out pies beers bombs etc. if revealing cards before folding is violating any rule set in a poker game, then so be it. coz really, for me, it really doesn't matter. unless, players here are like with that movie 21. lol
YP_alibaby

Postby grantus » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:50 am

This thread is not based on Triplejack. It is based on Texas Holdem poker. The thread is also basically for people to "throw out some ideas for better under standing the unspoken rules of Hold'em."

What has been posted so far (that has been on track) have all been ideas to help players understand them better. But a large percentage has been arguments about what "unspoken rules" are.

If the thread continues to go off track I will have to lock it. This is the "The Game Of Poker" forum, not the "Pie Bombing" forum. It is designed for serious talk about Poker in general, not for trying to flame an admin about anything and everything..

Lets get back on track now, shall we?
grantus.
-Aussie
-Admin
-Summer of Betrayal.

You just Lost The Game.
grantus

Next

Return to The Game Of Poker