Change font size   Print view

Are some people just really lucky/unlucky?

Discuss Poker here, including strategy, rules, and hand analysis.

Are some people just really lucky/unlucky?

Postby Zathras » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:07 am

I understand that winning or losing streaks sometimes happen, but I find it hard to accept that some players are just permanently "lucky" or "unlucky".

Except that I feel like the most unlucky player in the world. No matter what my cards are, I get beaten. I play carefully. I only put big money in when the odds are in my favor.

It doesn't matter. I still get absolutely crushed on the turn or river. If my opponent needs to hit an inside straight on the river when I have trips, he WILL get it. If I have AK it *will* get beat by some guy who calls a huge raise with 2-7 and hits something. How do some players get such incredibly lucky cards when they are behind in a hand? And how do they do it against me ALL THE TIME?

No matter how good my cards are, no matter how I bet, no matter how much of a probability-lead I have in the hand, I will find a way to lose. Just in the last two hours I must have lost 8 large-money hands where I was statistically in better position. (By comparison, I won two or three of those hands.) What does it mean when you lose 75% of the time, in hands you have a better-than-even chance to win after the flop? Hands you are supposed to win most of the time?

On the rare occasion I *do* have an unbeatable hand, people can smell it a thousand miles away...even if I don't raise, I see aggressive players that throw money around like crazy, suddenly fold as if they can see my cards.

All I ask is a fair chance to win...if there is a big pot at stake, and I have the best cards in play, why does it still seem impossible to win? Does TJ have "curses"? Does every player in TJ operate under the same probability-model, or do some players get penalized (or enhanced) odds depending on some factor? It's like a black cloud is following me. I want it to go away.
Zathras

SORRY LIFE HAS ITS OWN TWIST AND TURNS ,

Postby _M___A___K_ » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:15 am

just try to be patient and dont goof of and dont take these stuff seriously :wink: ,and believe in your hands and thats all and have fun! :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :) :D :D :D :) :D :) :D :P :P :P :P :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
_M___A___K_

Postby IDRIS » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:29 am

It's amazing how this one player got 4-of-a-kinds 4 to 5 times IN A ROW! I was like, WHOA. lol

"divine" intervention, eh? :lol:
IDRIS

Similar thoughts

Postby queenofspades » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:13 am

LOL thats how i have been feeling in the past few months..cant catch a break...and they all fold when i have good hand..too..after going all in in previous hands..but then..i just think..i have the worst luck lol..shame tho, if someone has found a way to cheat at free card playing..now that would be considered pitiful lol..oh well..its just for fun..so when i dont have fun..i just log out ..
queenofspades

something is wrong

Postby Yakultman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:26 pm

Same thing has been happening to me too...exactly the same.
Yakultman

Postby jeyps » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:18 am

Thats what makes poker a great game. Its a game of chance, period!
jeyps

Yes, some people ARE really unlucky

Postby BNA_Heresjonny » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:13 pm

Like me for example :cry: :lol:
ImageImage
BNASIDE
BNA_Heresjonny

Mr unlucky here

Postby 56f100 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:00 pm

Recently I lost a hand all in. I had A J and matching pairs on the flop. Bet half of my chips. 4th street a 2 - all in. He had A Q. River card a Q. 2 tournaments same guy beat me 5 or six hands like that. :twisted:

Here is the worst one:
All in with K K, opponent K J. PFFFT how can I lose. Flop: JKJ 4th street J. River J. Drives me crazy how much crap like that happens to me. As well as the third 2 4 hand Ive had in 10 hands that I fold this time and then the flop is 5 A 3. GRRRRR.

You should get a tilt button you can push when you lose a high stakes close showdown. It could make the other guys avatar blow into a thousand pieces or hit with a hammer and it shatters into tiny pieces like a car windshield. Here that ZEN/SC! /tilt name POW! MUWAHAHAHAHA!
56f100

Postby havoc » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:50 pm

All in with K K, opponent K J. PFFFT how can I lose. Flop: JKJ 4th street J. River J.

wow, that must have been terrible huh. what was the suit of the 5th J if you still remember???
LOL, jk. :lol: :lol:
havoc

Re: Are some people just really lucky/unlucky?

Postby Gordon_j » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:03 am

No, it just feels like it sometime. It all evens out in the long run, although that doesn't help when it happens to you.

I was recently heads up at the end of a MTT. The guy got AA followed by KK. Luckily I folded not much each time. The next hand I got 10 10 and he went all in. I thought, well he can't possibly have a third big hand ina row so I called and he showed 8 4. Great I thought. Then the flop came ... 8 8 4.

What can you say???
Gordon_j

Postby triplebigmac » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:26 pm

I find this happens ALL THE TIME, when your loosing tho you notice it more. :wink:
triplebigmac

Postby WB_Jibtalib_AD » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:15 am

Poker my friend is 90% skill and 10% luck. those times that your opponent got the lucky catch, 10% was on there side. you cant do anything if your AA was beaten by a two pair QK. Good for that it only happen in triplejack(fake money). Try experiencing it on a real tournament 6 thousand pesos buy.in. Things like that happens, my straight was beaten by a full house, AA by KK or my full house by straight flush on the river with 1 out. its like that shit happens.....
WB_Jibtalib_AD

Postby Creationist » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:16 am

Yeah, I lost about $10,000 in 2 days of playing to hands like that. I have a great hand (trips for example) that gets beat by a low-card flush on the river or an inside straight draw. So frustrating. But it comes and goes...
Creationist

Postby RedDwarf » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:00 am

Have to say im one of the unluckyones ild say my good luck versus bad beats gotta be 50-1 90% of the time seems as if worst hole cards will win unless ive got them :(
example i have ace and king hearts by time betting gets to me there are 7 x 8k blinds ( 100k room ) so i think all in 68k thats left hope i not come up against ace ace ... no only 1 caller he has 7 clubs Q spades ... i lose to a flush :evil: 2 hands later same player he has ace king spades :? i got Q Q flop = nothing turn = nothing river = king :cry: few hands later same player and 2 others all in big pot ace J - ace 9 and he got 9 10 unsuited he wins again HOW annoying wins with good wins with trash :( me lose with good lose with trash I WANT TO CRY
RedDwarf

Postby B0SS1NG » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Winning is base on what you have. It''s all strategy how u play your card. I'm not a strong poker player but I'm good enough. Showed my apponents that I'm a bluffer, got beaten in porpose with no hand but at the end of the game I gain a lot of profit. Lucky or Unlucky thats true. Number 1. You have to be in a good room where no clowns around, Clowns will just keep going all in. 2. samle AK, you must raise reasonable before the flop, to lessen the chance of those who has'nt have a good hand and make them fold, 11 people - 6 will give you have more chances of winning if you have High Pair. If your AA is beaten by a straight say nice hand. Remember the game your playing is Poker. Poker is a funny game.
If you think you have the best hand. and sure that you will win the game, what you do is think how can you make profit out your winning cards, don't scare your oppent and make them fold. Also learn your apponent how they play.

Good luck
B0SS1NG

Next

Return to The Game Of Poker